Eleven Reasons To Love
Antique and Vintage Jewelry
For those of us who already love vintage jewelry, we don’t need any more reasons to hunt it down, wear it, and gift it. Though, if you haven’t included vintage in your wardrobe, yet, or you are still mulling over holiday gift ideas, we wanted to give a shout out for how vintage jewelry can add sparkle to your life and help save the world!
1. “A thing of beauty is a joy forever.” – Keats. You will always look beautiful wearing a graceful cameo, or something elegant with pearls.
1b. Something unique and funky will stand out in any era. (Didn’t want to forget those of us who like Retro, Kitsch, and/or the Austin Powers influence.)
2. “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” makes the world a better place. Vintage fashion is inspired reuse. And, crafts that make old jewelry into new are an artsy way to recycle (upcycle).
3. An Antique or Vintage piece is often unique or one-of-a-kind. Sometime, you may have the only piece like it left in existence. Though, at least you can be fairly certain that no one else at the party will have the same thing!
4. Put your money where you heart is. Buying vintage items take money away from big corporations and mass market spending, and diverts resources to more local businesses and artful marketplaces.
4b. Vintage and Antique jewelry supports ethical buying. There are no worries about new impacts regarding unfair trade or cruelly mined gemstones.
5. Affordable value. Vintage is nearly always more affordable than something from a mall, department store, or boutique. Giving vintage gifts is an excellent way to show that “It’s the thought that counts.”
6. Pieces of vintage or antique jewelry come with their own stories and histories. Sometimes, a purchase reminds you of a favorite decade, era, or period drama. Some pieces come with their own, enjoyable mysteries to solve.
7. Vintage Jewelry makes a wonderful conversation piece.
8. Celebrities and Fashionistas wear vintage all the time. Mary-Kate Olsen’s engagement ring is an $81,000. vintage Cartier piece. Even Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, wears upcycled, in the form of Princess Diana’s sapphire and diamond earrings converted to a more modern setting.
9. The perfect vintage or antique item is easy to find! It is always fun to hunt local stores, fairs, or markets. Though, nowadays, the computer makes finding specific pieces a breeze. Using your favorite search engine, or your favorite vintage marketplace (we use Etsy), you can describe exactly the colors, styles, or eras you are looking for.
10. “They don’t make things like they used to.” Many vintage and antique fashions were made in a much more sturdy manner. Often, they were made to last through the generations. Also, the pieces you can find now are the ones still standing, so they have proven to withstand the test of time.
11. Resale Value. When you are finished enjoying a vintage piece, you can pass it along or sell it yourself.
Article by Kimberly Wilder of Wilderside Ltd. and Wilderside Jewelry on Etsy. Permission granted to reprint with link back to original.
One thought on “Why we love vintage jewelry…for us, for gifts, for the earth”
Hi Peace Couple, excellent list of reasons to love vintage 🙂