Man in Black by Johnny Cash is the Royal Song of the Day for August 29, 2011. When Duke Augustus wears his black dress shirt, the Duchess often accuses him of being Johnny Cash. Like most people, the Duke wears black for stagecraft or sartorial reasons. Johnny Cash turned this on its head by making his trademark black clothing into a political statement.
This Viet Nam War era song could, unfortunately, apply to our wars today:
I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin’ for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.
And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen’ that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen’ that we all were on their side.
- Royal Song of the Day: Friday, August 26, 2011 (peacecouple.com)
- Royal Song of the Day: Monday 8/22/2011 (peacecouple.com)
- Royal Song of the Day: 8/25/2011 – Spiritual preparation for Hurricane Irene (peacecouple.com)
- Royal Song of the Day: Sunday 8/21/2011 (peacecouple.com)
- Royal Song of the Day: Wednesday 8/17/2011 (peacecouple.com)