we make a dying at work so we can live it up on the weekend
Duke Augustus writes: Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Revised and Updated for the 21st Century by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez sparked the modern simplicity movement. It remains one of the pre-eminent sources for how to create financial freedom by separating your needs from your wants. This is not a get rich quick scheme. It is the progeny of Thoreau’s On Walden Pond. The Harvard-educated Thoreau freed himself from the business world by by taking the extraordinary measure of changing his life from pencil manufacturer to squatter. Dominguez and Robin suggest a less drastic change by helping you re-direct your prosperity from consumer driven wants to enough wealth to stop working.
The publisher describes the book as:
In an age of great economic uncertainty when everyone is concerned about money and how they spend what they have, this new edition of the bestselling Your Money or Your Life is an essential read. With updated resources, an easy-to-use index, and anecdotes and examples particularly relevant today — it tells you how to:
- get out of debt and develop savings
- reorder material priorities and live well for less
- resolve inner conflicts between values and lifestyle
- save the planet while saving money
- and much more
In Your Money or Your Life, Vicki Robin shows readers how to gain control of their money and finally begin to make a life, rather than just make a living.
Praise for Your Money or Your Life:
- Oprah Winfrey: “This is a wonderful book. It can really change your life.
- Ralph Nader: “This unique book will grow and grow on you. . . . Madison Avenue will not like what authors Dominguez and Robin show can be the road toward achieving the enjoyable freedoms of frugality.”
- More Praise for the New Edition of Your Money or Your Life
For more ideas about how to spend your money more carefully, see our “Compassionate Shopping Tips” post: here.